Cryogenic Treatment of cutting tools and knives improves performance, reduces wear and reduces replacement costs. Nitrofreeze specializes in many industrial & recreational applications.
Cryo Treatment transforms the micro-structure of metals permanently and irreversibly. It is a one-time treatment and all benefits stay with the knives after each re-sharpening or polishing.
High performance hunting and survival knives benefit from cryogenic treatment because:
- Voids and imperfections in the grain structure are eliminated, providing for more consistent sharpening and a better edge
- The increased resistance to wear means the edge will hold longer and the knife will stay sharper
- Less failures due to cracking that result from the propagation of stress lines
- Reduced coefficient of friction due to micro-smoothing
- Easier polishing and grinding with less material removal needed to restore (re-sharpen) the edge
Cryogenic Treatment of tools and knives uses computer-controlled time and temperature profiles to gradually bring the steel to cryogenic temperatures of -300°F. Cryogenic treatment is followed by a post tempering process for additional material refinement. The entire process is an extension of heat-treating that modifies the micro-structure of the material and enhances the steel in the following ways:
- Creates a more uniform “grain” or crystalline structure by transforming retained austenite (RA) into martensite
- Modifies the carbon micro-structure through precipitation of eta-carbides that increase resistance to wear
- Relieves residual stresses